Google Ads is one of the most popular advertising platforms for businesses of all sizes. One effective advertising strategy on Google Ads is competitor targeting, which allows you to show your ads to people searching for your competitors’ products or services. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of competitor targeting and provide a step-by-step guide on maximising your ROI.
Benefits of Competitor Targeting
- Increase brand visibility and awareness: By targeting your competitors, you can reach a wider audience and increase awareness of your brand.
- Target high-intent customers: People searching for your competitor’s products or services will likely be high-intent customers, meaning they are more likely to convert into paying customers.
- Drive traffic and sales: Competitor targeting can drive traffic to your website and increase sales.
- Lower cost-per-click (CPC) and cost-per-acquisition (CPA): Targeting your competitors can lower your CPC and CPA as you target people further along in the buying cycle.
- Outmaneuver competitors and gain market share: Competitor targeting can help you gain market share by outmaneuvering your competitors.
How to Find Competitors on Google Ads
To start with competitor targeting, you must identify your competitors on Google Ads.
Here are some ways to do it:
- Use Google Ads Auction Insights: Google Ads Auction Insights provides data on the performance of your ads compared to your competitors’ ads. You can use this tool to identify your competitors and see their performance.
- Conduct a Google search: Search for your target keywords and see who is bidding on them. These are likely to be your competitors.
- Use third-party tools: Tools like SEMrush and SpyFu can provide data on your competitors’ campaigns, including the keywords they are targeting, ad copy, and more.
Creating a Competitor Targeting
Campaign Once you have identified your competitors, it’s time to create a competitor-targeting campaign. Here are the steps:
- Choose the right campaign type: Depending on your goals, choose the appropriate campaign type (Search, Display, Video, etc.).
- Select targeting options: Choose targeting options such as keywords, placements, and audiences that target your competitors’ customers.
- Create ad groups and ads: Create ad groups and ads that target your competitors. Make sure your ad copy differentiates your brand from your competitors.
- Set a budget and bidding strategy: Set a budget and bidding strategy that aligns with your goals.
- Monitor and optimise campaign performance: Monitor the performance of your campaign and optimise it over time to improve its performance.
Best Practices for Competitor Targeting
Here are some best practices for maximising the effectiveness of your competitor targeting campaigns:
- Avoid trademark infringement and legal issues: Be careful not to infringe on your competitors’ trademarks or engage in any illegal activities.
- Use ad copy that differentiates your brand: Make sure your ad copy highlights your unique selling proposition and sets your brand apart from your competitors.
- Test different targeting options and ad variations: Experiment with different targeting options and ad variations to find the best combination that works for your business.
- Monitor competitor activity: Monitor your competitors’ activities and adjust your campaigns to stay ahead.
- Focus on long-term ROI: Competitor targeting should be seen as a long-term strategy that maximisingses ROI over time, rather than short-term gains.
Competitor targeting is a powerful advertising strategy that can help you gain market share, drive traffic and sales, and lower your cost-per-click and cost-per-acquisition. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can create a successful competitor-targeting campaign that delivers results for your business. Remember to focus on long-term ROI and monitor your campaign performance regularly to optimise its effectiveness. With the right approach, competitor targeting on Google Ads can help you outmaneuver your competitors and grow your business. So, take action and start using competitor targeting today!
May we help you?
"*" indicates required fields